Displaying items by tag: ynot

Dark Halloween with The March Violets

Venue: The Abbey
3420 W Grace St,
Chicago, Illinois 60618

Doors at 6:30pm and show at 7pm
$15 advance and $18 door
17+

Y-Not, Last Rites & DJ Scary Lady Sarah Present...
Support from New Canyons - DJ Scary Lady Sarah
Tickets at: Click here for tickets

The March Violets
http://www.marchviolets.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TheMarchViolets

The first alternative band to have equal male and female vocals, The March Violets were formed in Leeds in the post punk era at the very start of the 80s. Alongside The Danse Society, The Sisters of Mercy and The Southern Death Cult, they were one of the 4 dark British Northern Bands that are often blamed for starting the Gothic scene. The Violets released a series of singles that still fill the darker dance floors around the world, the most played being "Snakedance" and "Walk into the Sun". They imploded in 1985, just before the rise of "Goth Rock" made the Mission and Sisters household names.

Three original members reformed in 2007 for a remarkably successful reunion, and since then the Violets have done a few rare concerts, headlined some festivals, survived throat cancer, and finally managed to write and record their first proper album 'Made Glorious'. The Violets are a rare thing, a legendary band that has actually managed to evolve, yet retain their original dark brilliance.

Published in Gig List