Displaying items by tag: music beyond borders

Sunday, 24 March 2019 09:52

8.5.2019 - Sonic Waves Symposium, Manchester

Sonic Waves: Music and Sound Beyond Borders

Date: Wednesday 8th May 2019
Time: 10am – 5:30pm
Location: Geoffrey Manton Building
Manchester Metropolitan University
Rosamond St W, Manchester M15 6EB

Tickets: £10 (£5 unwaged) - Available on the OnlineShop

Rosie Garland of The March Violets is delighted to present her paper “Radiant Girls: ‘You can’t be goth and queer and feminist’ – being an outsider amongst outsiders”

MASSmcr are a group of multidisciplinary researchers exploring the musical beats and sonic streets of Manchester and beyond. For this symposium we bring together academics, researchers, practitioners, students and community organisations to explore how music, sound and the sonic can be used to transcend boundaries and move beyond borders. At a time of global uncertainties from climate change and conflict zones, to national and international political upheaval, we question if music and the sonic can narrate and negate these changes and shift our understanding of core and peripheral preoccupations.

About MASSmcr
Established in 2018, Music and Sonic Studies Manchester (MASSmcr), based at Manchester Metropolitan University, conducts innovative research into music and sonic phenomena. We aim to produce new ways of understanding and experiencing the production, reception and aesthetics of music, sound and other sonic encounters. We seek to understand how sonic and musical practices shape our understanding of the world and how they inform diverse identities, communities and spaces.

This event will be followed by MASS Assembly at the Castle Hotel.

https://www2.mmu.ac.uk/artshumanities/rah/events/detail/index.php?id=10719

Published in Gig List