Displaying items by tag: manchester novels

Wednesday, 04 October 2017 11:48

October 2017 - Diva review of The Night Brother!

Huge thanks to Kaite Welsh, Books Editor at Diva Magazine for this superb review of The Night Brother!
Here’s the full text of the review…

Diva review October 2017

"A must for anyone missing Sarah Waters’ foray into the Victorian era, siblings Edie and Gnome explore the delights of 19th century Manchester in Rosie Garland’s third novel - he during the night, her during the day. The prose is lush and vivid as gender fluidity mingles with magical realism. Edie grows increasingly jealous of her brother’s freedom and exhausted by her double life and the restrictions society places upon her. In The Night Brother, Garland crafts a study in dualism that would make Henry Jekyll jealous, and establishes herself as one of Britain’s best new historical novelists."

Kaite Welsh

http://www.divamag.co.uk/

Published in News
The Night Brother – publication day 1st June 2017

Heartfelt thanks to everyone who packed out Waterstones, Deansgate, Manchester for the sold-out launch of ‘The Night Brother’!
It was a wonderful evening for my new novel, dedicated:

‘To Manchester
and all the wanderers
who have found a home in this Rainy City’

You can order it here…
https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-night-brother/rosie-garland/9780008166106

Published in News
Fluid Love

Rosie Garland & Jess Richards
Sun 27 Aug 3:30pm - 4:30pm
Writers' Retreat,
Charlotte Square Gardens,
Edinburgh, EH2 4HQ
£8.00, £6.00

Set in 19th-century Manchester, writer and performance poet Rosie Garland's The Night Brother takes the reader to the outer limits of gender fluidity as it explores the complex nature of identity through siblings Edie and Gnome. Acclaimed author Jess Richards's City of Circles is the magical tale of a love affair between two circus performers, Danu and Morrie. Contemporary fiction at its finest.

The Festival's home, the beautiful, leafy Charlotte Square Gardens (at the west end of George Street, a minute's walk away from Princes Street), is a wonderful space in which to sit, talk, think, play and be entertained. Our tented village is expanding out to George Street this year with two new venues and seating areas so there are even more opportunities to relax and be entertained. You can see a favourite author, join in a workshop or debate, enjoy a cuppa in the café, a beer, or simply park yourself on the grass (with or without a book) and soak up the atmosphere.

https://www.edbookfest.co.uk/the-festival/whats-on/rosie-garland-jess-richards-10252

Published in Gig List