Displaying items by tag: huddersfield literature festival

Wednesday, 23 January 2019 11:20

12.2.2019 - Huddersfield Lit Fest launch event

Festival Preview – Celebrating Doctor Who

Huddersfield Library
Princess Alexandra Walk
HD1 2SU

Tuesday 12 February 2019
Doors 6pm, ends approx 7.30pm

Find out more about this year’s events, pick up a brochure and take part in our Celebration of Doctor Who.
Come dressed as your favourite character - Take a selfie with our Tardis
Share your favourite memories of the show (in keeping with our Festival theme of ‘Memory’)

Hosted by novelist, poet and singer with post-punk band The March Violets, Rosie Garland

Find out 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Doctor Who
Raffle for Kirkwood Hospice

No age restrictions (U16s should be accompanied by an adult)

Date: February 12, 2019
Start time: 06:00 p.m.
End time: 07:30 p.m.
Venue: Huddersfield Library,
Phone: 01484951108
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Published in Gig List
Huddersfield Literature Festival Poetry Slam

The Parish
28 Kirkgate,
Huddersfield HD1 1QQ
8pm £3 (£1.50)
Age guidance: 16+
A no-holds barred celebration of voice and volume for performance poets of all skill levels, with a top prize of £50.
Loud, funny, hard hitting – bring your poems, raps, comedy and confessions to be performed live and judged by audience members. Or just come along for the entertainment.
Hosted by Rosie Garland, aka Rosie Lugosi the Vampire Queen: singer with The March Violets, cabaret artiste, award-winning poet, short story writer, essayist and novelist.
No additional entry fee for performers – simply book your ticket and turn up with two pieces of work to perform.
- See more at: http://www.litfest.org.uk/?q=diary#Poetry%20Slam
http://www.litfest.org.uk/

Published in Gig List

Huddersfield Literature Festival

When: Saturday 7 March
Time: 7.45pm (doors 7pm)
Venue: Byram Arcade,
Westgate, Huddersfield,
Yorkshire HD1 1ND

In partnership with The Blue Rooms, which will remain open for refreshments during the evening.
Tickets priced at £5 (£2.50 conc) are now on sale from the Lawrence Batley Theatre box office (www.thelbt.org; 01484 430 528).

Exciting, thought provoking, moving, funny: Polari is all these things and more – and it's making a welcome return to Huddersfield. Hosted by award-winning journalist and novelist, Paul Burston, Polari showcases the work of LGBT novelists, short story writers and poets, and has a broad appeal to anyone who enjoys an entertaining night out with excellent performers.

Festival Director Michelle Hodgson said: "We were delighted to have the opportunity to host the first ever Polari in the north and we're thrilled that Paul Burston will be returning with a new set of authors for HLF2015. Polari Up North was one of the highlights of this year's festival and we are looking forward to another highly entertaining evening of performances next March."

The performers for 2015 are:
Rosie Garland – Born in London to a runaway teenager, Rosie is a novelist and poet, sings in post-punk band The March Violets and performs twisted cabaret as Rosie Lugosi the Vampire Queen.

VG Lee – Critically acclaimed author of four novels and a collection of short stories, VG Lee recently won the Ultimate Planet Award for Best Author 2014 and is a regular contributor to The Lady Magazine.

Diriye Osman – A British-Somali short story writer, essayist, critic and visual artist, Diriye Osman won the 2014 Polari First Book Prize with his critically acclaimed debut, Fairytales For Lost Children.

Gerry Potter – Currently touring his new book of autobiographical theatre verse, The Chronicles of Folly Butler, Gerry Potter has been wowing audiences nationally with his own unique brand of domestic-fantastic free verse.

Polari
"The most exciting literary movement in London... crackling with energy, ideas, excitement" – Huffington Post
"Always fun, always thought-provoking – a guaranteed good night out" – Sarah Waters
Click to go to Huddersfield Literature Festival site

Published in Gig List