Displaying items by tag: feminist literature

Disturbing The Beast: Women Of Weird Fiction launch

Blackwell's Bookshop
University Green,
146 Oxford Road,
Manchester M13 9GP

Wednesday, 8 May 2019 from 19:00-20:30

Join Bad Language for an evening of readings to celebrate Feminist Book Fortnight and the release of Disturbing The Beast, a brilliant brand new collection of weird fiction stories by some of the best women writers in the UK.

The short stories in Disturbing The Beast boast breath-taking prose and thought-provoking plots. The book is produced by Boudicca Press, a new imprint showcasing the work of leftfield female literary talent. The collection smashed its target on Kickstarter, and now you can hear those stories up-close and live - and buy a copy of the book on the night.

The fictional tales swerve mainstream, contemporary literature and provide something much more memorable, with subjects including lesser-talked-about female-centred topics such as sexual abuse, pregnancy issues and body image. Writers in the anthology include Kirsty Logan, Jane Alexander, Rosie Garland, Lorraine Wilson, Aliya Whiteley, Cheryl Powell, Carolyn Jess-Cooke, Caroline Steed and Sam Mills.

Published in Gig List
Royal Albert Hall and For Books' Sake present ‘That's What She Said’

Elgar Room
Royal Albert Hall
Kensington Gore
London, SW7 2AP

Monday 17 December 2018
Starts: 9:30pm

As part of the Royal Albert Hall's Christmas Season, For Books’ Sake are presenting a late night End of Year Special of That’s What She Said.

Shortlisted for Best Spoken Word Night in the UK at the 2017 Saboteur Awards, That’s What She Said showcases the best new writing and performance by women, featuring established and emerging authors with a mix of performance, poetry, storytelling, slam and more.

Expect fierce, feminist truth, fiction, politics and poetry from internationally renowned megababes - a night of spoken word featuring the most incendiary, intoxicating women writers and performers around

Performers will include iconic author Salena Godden, poet, and writer for the Guardian and The Huffington Post Penny Pepper, award-winning literary hero Rosie Garland and artist and social activist Reece Lyons.

Come and celebrate For Books' Sake's best year yet with this ridiculously iconic line-up.
‘[The] biggest spoken word night in London for women’
Evening Standard

Entry via Door 12
This event has mixed standing and unreserved cabaret-style seating, and you may be asked to share a table

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2018/thats-what-she-said-2/

Published in Gig List
Friday, 03 February 2017 12:01

3.3.2017 - Dolly Mixtures, Manchester

Dolly Mixtures

Royal Exchange Theatre,
St Ann's Square,
Manchester, M2 7DH

Free entry
From 7.30pm

Cabaret and spoken word evening to celebrate Wonder Women Manchester Festival. Featuring Rosie Garland, Kate Fox, Stefanie Fetterman, Jane Bradley & many more...
A variety showcase of the most cutting edge feminist theatre and performance. From poetry to classical, from theatrical performance to cabaret and much more. Expect to be rattled and roused. But be warned, contents are not sweet! Curated by Instigate Arts.

We are asking for donations on the night which will be split between artists and our selected charitable cause.

https://www.creativetourist.com/event/dolly-mixtures/

Published in Gig List
Wednesday, 25 January 2017 11:33

24.2.2017 - Feminist Library at Tate Modern

UNIQLO TATE LATE

Tate Modern
Bankside
London
SE1 9TG
Free entry
6pm-10pm

Experience the gallery after-hours with a mix of art, music, film and workshops
This month we celebrate women in art by taking inspiration from the pioneering contemporary female artists in our collection.

Pop-Up Feminist Library

Check in to the Feminist Library to explore Tate’s collection through readings with writers, zine making and a feminist photo booth. Featuring Rosie Garland! Curated by Caroline Smith - the Feminist Library’s inaugural Writer-in-Residence 2017.

Plus DJs, Visuals (Natalia Stuyk), Patches of Hope for 2017, Arcola 50+ and
Deep Throat Choir

http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-modern/late/uniqlo-tate-lates

Published in Gig List